Working girl?

To work, or not to work.  That is the question.  In my past life, I worked in marketing communications and really loved my job.  I was lucky to be employed with, in my opinion, one of the best companies in the world.  I made some great friends there, some of my best friends even.  We worked hard and played hard, and we were all very happy.

Then came the financial crisis, and right after, the automotive crisis.  Did I mention I worked for an automotive finance company?  It was the perfect shit storm and before you knew it I was watching my colleagues, some of whom I had come to cherish very dearly, being walked out of the building, severance packages in hand.  I was "lucky" enough to stay on until I found another job, but it was one of the most brutal things I have ever had to endure during my career.  Needless to say, it left a scar, and now I'm not so sure the corporate world is one I want to belong to any longer.

I found out I was pregnant two weeks into my new job.  My pregnancy made me a HORRIBLE employee.  I was afraid to tell anyone I was expecting for fear I would be let go in the first three months (employers in Ontario can terminate an employee in the first three months for any reason they deem fit, pregnant or not.)  It's actually kind of funny when I look back....the many times I got caught sleeping at my desk, in the bathroom stall or in my car in the parking lot, the many times I sobbed into my brand new co worker's shoulder because I forgot to bring a spoon for my yogurt (or some other equally ridiculous reason), or the many times I snapped at my other coworker because she used the wrong version of the word "there" in her text.  (Actually, that last part is more sad than funny.  That girl is a trained professional and should know better.)

Any who, I can admit that my pregnancy made me a pretty crappy employee and I won't be looking for references from any of the folks that were forced to endure my behaviour during those nine months.

So now, here I am. My maternity leave officially ended today and I am not sure what I am going to do.  I absolutely LOVE being home with my daughter, but now that we are in a new city I am craving adult conversation and as bright as Sommer is, she isn't much of a conversationalist.  It has also recently been brought to my attention that I need to work on my social skills.  Apparently living alone with an infant can leave a person slightly shell shocked. Who knew?  ;)

 




2 comments:

Rose said...

Your social skills were just fine here! I can imagine how difficult it would be to meet people in a new city though when you are a stay at home mom since most people meet at work. However, it is a difficult decision whether to go back to work. As my maternity leave ends, I find myself wishing I could stay home. November 15th is my first day back to work, and I dread it. Only you will know what best for you and your family. Tell Sommer that we miss her smiles at gym and swim and give her a big hug!

Sandra Torti said...

OH Sarah Bear...you cried because you forgot your spoon to your 'yummy'!?!? Don't forget they used 'check' instead of 'cheque'!! I think you can get some 'adult socialization' in other ways than working. Working again is different, its not the same as what he had. It will never be the same and its very unfortunate for the new people since they will never compare to our old friends. Stay home with Sommer as long as you can....you will have the rest of your life to work :) Love you and miss you lots! XOXOX




Hello and Welcome!

Hi, I'm Sarah. Ex-marketing and advertising junkie turned pregger turned part-time working mom. I grew up in Windsor, ON, and when our family was hit as hard as it could have been by the automotive recession, my husband made a career change, which made him a cop, me a cop's wife, and moved us thousands of miles away to a town just outside of Edmonton, AB. These are our adventures as we make our way in our new land.


Pages




Content © 2010
Blog design by Splendid Sparrow