Weighty Issue

Now this post is looooooong overdue.  I'm a big fan of McFatty Mondays over at The Heir to Blair, I love that she uses her blog to stay motivated and uses her reader comments for inspiration and accountability.  Three things that I am severely lacking in my life right now, totally hindering the remainder of my baby weight loss.

When I got pregnant, I was 20 lbs overweight.  I attribute this to overeating in response to the stress and sadness that came with my office closing.  When I moved on to a new job, it came with a one-hour commute either way, and when you add the exhaustion and all-day sickness I was feeling during the first trimester of my pregnancy, the strict work out regime of running, spinning, pilates and zumba that I had been enjoying was nullified.  Once I got my energy back and the sickness went away, it was too late.  Add that to my daily need for Marble Slab ice cream and you have what I ended up with:  an 80 pound weight gain (I think.  I never actually weighed myself except for right before I had Sommer, and I was also EXTREMELY swollen, which was why I had a C-section...so some of that was water.  With my luck, it was probably only about five pounds or so.)

When I left the hospital and went on a week's worth of water pills to reduce the swelling that got even worse after I gave birth, I had lost 22 lbs.  That left me with 58 more to go from the pregnancy, and 20 more from the job loss.  I committed to focusing on the baby weight first, anything more than that would be dealt with at a later time.

I thought that since I was breastfeeding, the weight would fall off.  No such luck.  You can imagine my horror when over the holidays I weighed myself, only to see that I HAD GAINED FIVE POUNDS.

That was it.  I signed up for as many "mommy and me" workout classes as I could.  With Nick leaving, the days were mine to focus entirely on the baby and my weight loss goals.  Thanks to Char's Stroller Fitness Class and Therese's Mommy Bootcamp, I shed many inches and lost a total of 28 lbs.  I have to give the credit entirely to them, because my diet was suffering greatly from my habit of emotional eating.

I have 20 lbs to lose to get back to where I was when I got pregnant.  I have decided to start following Weight Watchers and have set a goal of one hour of exercise every day.  I'm also going to have blood work done to make sure my system is working correctly.


Stick with me to see what happens.  In honour of Blair, I am going to use this blog to keep myself accountable and motivated.

 




3 comments:

Airica26 said...

Hooray good for you. You can do it.

Airica26 said...

Oh I just noticed that my blogger profile picture was a happy joyous running cookie. I think I need a little motivation myself...lol

Rose said...

Hey Sarah,

Good for you! I know where you are coming from. Now that I return to work in 2 weeks, and my last class with Char was on Thursday, I am also struggling to figure out where the time will come from for me to work out. I know there is always time, but it doesn't feel good when it comes from the little amount of time I will get to spend with Ethan once he is in daycare full-time and I am working. I am only hoping it will all work out. In the meantime, I will be following you. Maybe we can switch roles and you can be my inspiration along this stretch!




Hello and Welcome!

Hi, I'm Sarah. Ex-marketing and advertising junkie turned pregger turned part-time working mom. I grew up in Windsor, ON, and when our family was hit as hard as it could have been by the automotive recession, my husband made a career change, which made him a cop, me a cop's wife, and moved us thousands of miles away to a town just outside of Edmonton, AB. These are our adventures as we make our way in our new land.


Pages




Content © 2010
Blog design by Splendid Sparrow